The brand new paradigma of Social network is to re-share, to like.. to let people know what we think is interesting, or can be interesting for our friend, our clients… our online audience.
Then why composing a feed of shared items is only a "copy" of the item i used to like or share? Share feed is a brand new publishing! It needs at least the information about the time "when" it's shared, and is not a thing made of tiki-taki. You noticed that when you subscribe to this kind of feeds, re-aggregate items, they start to dance back and forward in time? It's because if i share a new "feed item" of yesterday, it is published on new feed with the "old" date and never be show on headline of my followers, nor i see likes/reShare of my friends "older" then headline of their feeds!!
I think this is wrong and unacceptable.
Some examples about situation:
- Google Reader adds a field on his rss-Shared items where is coded the time of sharing, but the time of the post remain the same of the publication on original feed;
– Twitter favorites have only the time of "original tweet";
- FriendFeed, like Twitter.
I think that the main time
on the post of RSS feed of likes/reShare have to be date of reShare, and date of publishing have to be conserved on another field. As Robert Scoble often say "The best of internet is on Liked items"… his, mine, your… it's reSharing knowledge, digging, mixing.. it's rePublishing babe.
Posted via email from Lucior’s Posterous
Someone write content, live an experience, have an idea; then it is “consumed” on his Website, Bog, PhotoBlog, SocialNetwork, and then.. this is lost there, can hide, or return to the mainframe, to FRIENDFEED. Is where “Programs hacking Programs” RSS is reshared, commented “allowing a temporary dissemination of the code“, creating discussion, creating new content on Friendfeed and on other feeds. Then the loop start again.
From Matrix Revolutions transcripts:
The Oracle: Look, see those birds? At some point a program was written to govern them. A program was written to watch over the trees, and the wind, the sunrise, and sunset. There are programs running all over the place. The ones doing their job, doing what they were meant to do, are invisible. You’d never even know they were here. But the other ones, well, we hear about them all the time.
Neo: I’ve never heard of them.
The Oracle: Of course you have. Every time you’ve heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel. Every story you’ve ever heard about vampires, werewolves, or aliens is the system assimilating some program that’s doing something they’re not supposed to be doing.
Neo: Programs hacking programs. Why?
The Oracle: They have their reasons, but usually a program chooses exile when it faces deletion.
Neo: And why would a program be deleted?
The Oracle: Maybe it breaks down. Maybe a better program is created to replace it – happens all the time, and when it does, a program can either choose to hide here, or return to The Source.
Neo: The machine mainframe?
Architect: The function of the One is now to return to the Source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program…
In last few weeks i studied some RSS, GoogleReader and FriendFeed protocols and built yahoo Pipes “for fun and profit”. Here the list and the description, take it with some assumptions:
Every pipe you want to “use into a pipe” (by dropping it from left-menu) has as input a feed or a webpage, you can’t use it “in the middle” of an item feed analysis redirecting stream of item into it. This behaviour limits construction of “pipes as module”, then CLONE IT or TAKE IT AS INSPIRATION for your pipe.
List of my “public” pipes (consider this as freezed, if I’ll update it I’ll clone a 0.2 version and so on ..):
- CJFPM – Rss4FriendFeed – 0.1 : prepare an Rss feed to be more “appetible” from FriendFeed: remove “[feedly]” from title, build a better item.comment to post it as a plain comment on FF.
- CJFPM – GoogleReader Badge to RSS – 0.1 : retrieves a Google Reader Badge OPML file, re-maps the item names and then downloads items for each feed. Use “CJFPM – Feed Attribution on Title” to add at every item attribution “from” incoming feed.
- CJFPM – Feed-Buster – 0.1 : construct appropriate feeds and return feed elements using Feed-Buster that is “MediaInjection which injects media enclosure links into feed posts based on media present in the item description and content” and have a lot of other cool features (see Docs on Feed-Buster website).
If you have improvements / suggestions / requests: comment there or send me a direct message on FriendFeed!!